The Technician – Viral Cell Line Development (CLD) will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on development of GMP-compliant packaging and producer cell lines for viral vector (AAV and LV) manufacture. OXGENE has a leading position in the viral CLD area with proprietary, automation-facilitated workflows. The appointee would work with Associate Scientist, Scientist and Senior Scientist colleagues to expand the capacity of viral CLD team at OXGENE.
Prior experience working in a laboratory environment is essential, as is familiarity with working to SOPs and producing records in line with internal quality standards. Knowledge of mammalian cell culture and/or viral vectors would be a distinct advantage.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line with the planned project objectives
- Facilitate line manager and/or senior members of staff in planning day-to-day experimental work
- Carry out lab work to a high standard and provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
- Draft and review SOPs, and data templates
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for ongoing activities
- BSc or MSc in relevant discipline, with significant laboratory experience
- Experience working in a commercial/industry environment is preferred but not essential
- Good attention to detail and willingness to work to standardised protocols/SOPs
- Standard mammalian cell culture techniques and methods for adherent and/or suspension cell lines
- Experience of Flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Molecular biology skills, including PCR and/or qPCR
- Experience of high throughput cell culture/ screening
- Experience of working with automated platforms
- Generation of viral vectors
- Experience in cell biology assays, including Western Blot and immunofluorescence
- Experience of analytical techniques, including ELISA
In addition to undertaking the duties above, the post-holder will be expected to fully adhere to the following:
- To actively participate in their performance review and work towards objectives set.
- To take responsibility for their own professional development ensuring professional standards are maintained and mandatory training is in date.
- To attend training as requested.
Code of Conduct and Quality
- To uphold the company mission and values.
- To support the company in developing an effective work/life balance for employees that meets the needs of the organisation.
- To adhere to quality processes and procedures and strive for continuous quality improvement.
Equal Opportunities and Diversity
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
Health and Safety
- To take responsibility for the health & safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
Confidentiality and Data Security
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
Role Benefits: A great opportunity to start or develop a career in the exciting and growing biotechnology industry.
Closing Date: This job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please apply for this job as soon as you can, if interested.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
Current Company Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus 8 UK Bank holidays; Pension with salary exchange and employer contribution; Group life cover; Glasses vouchers; Employee assistance programme; Ongoing reward and recognition schemes; Business travel insurance; Private medical insurance with great wellbeing benefits as a benefit in kind; Kitchen facilities on each floor with freshly ground coffee, tea, fruit juices, fruit and biscuits; Financially incentivised employee referral scheme; Long service benefits i.e. additional annual leave; and Oxford Science Park free parking.
Culture: A chance to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment; 3 whole company communication presentation events each year; Fun Factor social events including regular science presentations; regular TGIFriday events; Annual 2-day Staff Away Days; additional social committee events; and a commitment to quality, health and safety.
Environment: Modern offices and laboratories with a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
Values: Employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship.
Please send a CV.
Your CV should include evidence that demonstrates how you meet each of the selection criteria for the post using examples of your skills and experience. This may include experience gained in employment, education, or during career breaks. Your application will be judged on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria stated in the job description. Internal applicants should apply directly to the Recruitment inbox and copy in the HR Manager.
By sending us your personal information, you are asking us to hold your data on file and understand that we will only keep it for as long as we need it to comply with the Data Protection Act. However, should you wish your e-mail address to be added to our automated vacancies update list in the future, please advise us when you apply, thank you.
DIVERSITY AND EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY
We provide all our staff with a welcoming and inclusive workplace that enables and empowers everyone to develop and deliver professional excellence. We recognise diversity is vital for innovation and creativity and value each individual’s contribution. Entry into employment with Oxford Genetics and further progression will be determined by personal merit and the application of criteria related to the duties of the role. The ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration on entry into employment and to successfully pass probation.
The appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work in the UK, proof of identity, references and health assessment.
OXGENE only accept CV’s from Partnership Recruitment Agencies. Should you wish to be considered for the future, please read the information on our website under ‘Recruitment Agencies’ and should you be eligible, please complete the online form for our Spring Annual Review.