The Scientist – Analytical Sciences will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on establishing analytical processes and methodology for protein and viral vector-based biotherapeutics. OXGENE has a number of on-going programmes in this area, and multiple government supported grant awards, which the recipient will contribute towards. This will be a predominantly lab-based position and will work closely with the Cell Line Development and Process Development teams to define and design projects. The role will also include the training and supervision of one technician in the first instance, but it is envisaged that the team will expand based on commercial and business requirements. An ability to rapidly assimilate information and to learn new techniques and approaches is essential, as is high-level attention to detail and scientific rigour.
Experience in developing multiple analytical techniques and authoring SOPs is absolutely required. Relevant techniques include qPCR for adeno-associated viral vectors (AAV) and/or lentiviral vectors (LV), ELISA, Western blotting, SPR and HPLC (Affinity, SEC). Experience running cell-based assays including transduction assays by FACS and integrated qPCR, as well as knowledge of automation approaches for analytical methods, and implementation of sample tracking systems is particularly desirable.
- As a specialist in Analytical Sciences, lead development of analytical methods for commercial projects and internal platforms
- Work closely with colleagues and collaborators to define project goals and deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
- To maintain standards in the laboratories, and to contribute to ensuring best practice
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
- To help in establishing SOPs and methods, and in utilizing the internal electronic lab note system and databases
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes
- Supervise / line manage one junior staff member to start with
- Set objectives for direct reports (analytical technician and/or associate scientist)
- Support line manager in ensuring smooth running of the group
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position as required
- Ph.D or MSc. with relevant laboratory experience, ideally in a commercial/industry setting
- A high-level attention to detail
- An engineering mindset – good ability to utilize statistical approaches to optimize processes and procedures
- Experience with development of analytical assays for viral vectors
- HPLC for analysis of both proteins and viral vectors (including, but not limited to antibodies, antibody-fragments, Lentivirus, AAV)
- Experience with cell-based assays including transduction assays by FACS and integrated copy number approaches (qPCR)
- Use of qPCR for quantitation of LV and/or AAV viral particles (ideally in a regulated environment)
- Development and testing of ELISAs against novel proteins, and process automation
- Western blotting, including use of capillary-based systems
- Use of SPR or QCM techniques for measuring protein binding kinetics
Closing Date: This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
We are located in the UK and USA.
The UK office is located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
Current Company Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus UK Public holidays and a day off on your birthday; Pension with salary exchange and employer contribution; Group life cover; Business travel insurance; Employee assistance programme; Business travel insurance; Private medical insurance with great wellbeing benefits as a benefit in kind; Glasses Vouchers; Long service benefits including annual leave rising to 30 days; Oxford Science park free parking and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding company.
Our Oxford offices benefit from kitchen facilities on each floor with freshly ground coffee, tea, fruit juices, fruit and biscuits.
Culture: A chance to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment; 2 whole company communication presentation events each year; Fun Factor social events including regular science presentations; regular TGIFriday events; Annual 2-day Staff Away Days; additional social committee events; and a commitment to quality, health and safety.
Environment: Modern offices and laboratories with a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
Values: Employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun.