The Associate Scientist – Viral Vector Manufacture will work as part of an internal function for the generation and characterisation of viral vectors for both in-vitro and in-vivo applications (non-GMP). The appointee would work with Scientist and Senior Scientist colleagues to expand this service within the company. This function sits within the Viral Vector Manufacture Group, which addresses small scale (up to 500mL batches) production of lentiviral vectors, adeno-associated viral vectors (rAAVs) and adenoviral vectors.
The appointee will work on commercial projects to deliver defined objectives, as well as on internal R&D projects to develop new technologies and platforms for future commercialisation. There will be frequent interactions and sometimes task sharing with Process Development group.
Prior experience working in a laboratory environment is essential, as is familiarity with working to SOPs and producing batch records. Relevant techniques (see next section) include plasmid preparation, transfection (multiwell plates, hyperflask/stack, cell factories, suspension), harvest/clarification, characterisation by flow cytometry, qPCR, ELISA, Western blot.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Drafting and review of SOPs and batch records
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required
- BSc or MSc in relevant discipline, with relevant laboratory experience (higher education qualifications with laboratory experience also considered)
- Experience working in a commercial/industry environment is preferred but not essential
- A high attention to detail
- Ability to work in a laboratory independently and as part of a team on multiple projects, following established protocols, SOPs and safety procedures
- Good time management, communication, teamwork and numeracy skills
- Understanding of viral vector manufacture and associated methods
- Handling adherent cell lines in multiple formats (multiwell plates, hyperflasks/stacks, cell factories)
- Experience in production and characterisation of viral vectors, and in implementation of best-practices for related processes
- Handling and transfection of suspension cell lines
- Optimisation and implementation of downstream processes for viral vectors
- Analytical techniques for genetic characterisation of viral particles
Closing Date: This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
We are located in the UK and USA.
The UK office is located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
Current Company Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus UK Public holidays and a day off on your birthday; Pension with salary exchange and employer contribution; Group life cover; Business travel insurance; Employee assistance programme; Business travel insurance; Private medical insurance with great wellbeing benefits as a benefit in kind; Glasses Vouchers; Long service benefits including annual leave rising to 30 days; Oxford Science park free parking and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding company.
Our Oxford offices benefit from kitchen facilities on each floor with freshly ground coffee, tea, fruit juices, fruit and biscuits.
Culture: A chance to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment; 2 whole company communication presentation events each year; Fun Factor social events including regular science presentations; regular TGIFriday events; Annual 2-day Staff Away Days; additional social committee events; and a commitment to quality, health and safety.
Environment: Modern offices and laboratories with a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
Values: Employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun.