The Associate Scientist – Process Development will carry out a range of activities to support the Process Development group at OXGENE. The group incorporates Upstream (small scale bioreactors systems), Downstream (harvest/purification) and Analytical for both viral and protein therapeutics, with a particular focus on Lentivirus, AAV and monoclonal antibodies.
The Associate Scientist will have a focus on downstream process development (DSP) and production, and to provide support for activities including lab maintenance, concentrating/ purifying viral vectors using a combination of technologies including but not limited to depth filtration, ultrafiltration and diafiltration with tangential flow filtration (TFF), affinity chromatography and ion exchange chromatography, as directed by Scientist/ Senior Scientist colleagues.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the successful expansion of this function at OXGENE, and significant training and support in multiple areas of biological production and characterisation will be provided.
- Work closely with Senior Scientist/ Scientist colleagues to define objectives, and key support required for lab functions
- To develop and execute downstream process operations for a wide range of advanced therapeutics, including viral vectors (Lentivirus, AAV, Adenovirus) and proteins (mAbs, Fabs)
- Provide data summaries and reporting, as required
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position as required
- BSc or MSc in relevant scientific or engineering discipline (biology, chemistry, chemical engineering), with relevant laboratory experience (higher education qualifications with laboratory experience also considered)
- Ability to work in a laboratory independently and as part of a team on multiple projects, following established protocols, SOPs and safety procedures.
- Understanding of viral vector manufacture and associated methods
- Practical experience of some or all techniques used in biopharmaceutical downstream processing (aseptic handling, normal flow filtration, tangential flow filtration, chromatography, qPCR, ELISA SDS-PAGE)
- Ability to write clear, professional and accurate reports in a timely fashion
- Good time management, communication, teamwork and numeracy skills
- Experience in the accurate and documented preparation of laboratory reagents
- Experience in sample logging and tracking
- Basic proficiency in MS office package. Intermediate or advanced proficiency advantageous
- Experience in handling viral vectors (Lentivirus, AAV and Adenovirus)
- Experience working in a biopharmaceutical production environment
- Some background in mathematical data analysis (statistics, DoE, modelling, curve fitting)
Closing Date: This job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please apply for this job as soon as you can, if interested.
We are located in the UK and USA.
The UK office is located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
Current Company Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus UK Public holidays and a day off on your birthday; Pension with salary exchange and employer contribution; Group life cover; Business travel insurance; Employee assistance programme; Business travel insurance; Private medical insurance with great wellbeing benefits as a benefit in kind; Glasses Vouchers; Long service benefits including annual leave rising to 30 days; Oxford Science park free parking and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding company.
Our Oxford offices benefit from kitchen facilities on each floor with freshly ground coffee, tea, fruit juices, fruit and biscuits.
Culture: A chance to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment; 2 whole company communication presentation events each year; Fun Factor social events including regular science presentations; regular TGIFriday events; Annual 2-day Staff Away Days; additional social committee events; and a commitment to quality, health and safety.
Environment: Modern offices and laboratories with a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
Values: Employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun.