The Scientist in the Complex Edits & CRISPR Screening group will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on OXGENE’s mammalian cell engineering pipeline. This area of business has expanded significantly in the last 18-months, and this role will contribute extensively to its further operational development. Scientist colleagues are expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to Technicians and Associates working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential. Individuals with an enthusiasm for operational excellence, and for optimising procedures and processes are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define, plan and deliver project goals, in line with group’s objectives
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- Keep up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Provide accurate record keeping
- Provide project summaries and reports
- Support line manager with smooth running of the group
- Train and oversee junior staff in appropriate techniques
- Adhere strictly to established quality standards
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required.
- PhD/DPhil in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology or relevant discipline
- Experience in a commercial/industrial setting (minimum 1 year)
- Strong molecular biology skills, including PCR, (q)RT-PCR, Transfections, Flow cytometry, and Western Blotting
- Expertise in using gene editing methods, such as CRISPR
- Expertise in mammalian cell culture
- Experience in supervising junior members of staff
- Strong communication and organisation skills, as well as attention to detail
- Strong team playing skills (ideally in multidisciplinary teams)
- Experience in cell biology assays, including stable cell line generation, and immunofluorescence
- Experience in using robotic liquid handling and automation systems
- Experience in manufacture workflows
- Experience in SOP writing
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid missing the opportunity.
We are located in the UK and USA.
The UK office is located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
Current Company Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus UK Public holidays and a day off on your birthday; Pension with salary exchange and employer contribution; Group life cover; Employee assistance programme; Business travel insurance; Private medical insurance with great wellbeing benefits as a benefit in kind; Glasses Vouchers; Long service benefits including annual leave rising to 30 days; Oxford Science park free parking and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding company.
Our Oxford offices benefit from kitchen facilities on each floor with freshly ground coffee, tea, fruit juices, fruit and biscuits.
Culture: A chance to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment; 2 whole company communication presentation events each year; Fun Factor social events including regular science presentations; regular TGIFriday events; Annual 2-day Staff Away Days; additional social committee events; and a commitment to quality, health and safety.
Environment: Modern offices and laboratories with a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
Values: Employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun.
Information for international candidates
By the start of employment, the successful candidate must have, and be able to demonstrate, permission to work in the UK.
Unfortunately, as a small company, we have very limited ability to sponsor employees under Tier 2 (General) of the points based system, and we are unable to sponsor Tier 2 work visas for international graduates / candidates.