The Senior Scientist – Cell Line Development will be involved in both internal platform development and commercial projects, focusing on setting up and operationally leading an internal CHO-based cell line development platform for manufacture of therapeutic proteins. Prior experience in development of cell lines for protein manufacture, and an understanding of methodologies for the optimisation of cell growth conditions, genetic manipulation of cell lines, and product quality attributes (PQAs) would be highly advantageous. This role will interface extensively with colleagues in the protein engineering, expression and process development groups.
Scientist colleagues are expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to technicians working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
- To keep up-to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
- Set an example to other colleagues, and to train junior staff in appropriate techniques
- Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
- Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best practice
- Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the group
- To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
- Provide accurate record keeping at all times
- Carrying out any other duties commensurate with the grading of the position, as required
- MSc or Ph.D. in relevant discipline (Biotechnology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry)
- Experience working in a commercial/industry setting relevant to the role (>2 years) would be highly desirable
- Extensive experience with handling of mammalian suspension cell lines, including generating stable, clonal lines.
- Experience with Flow cytometry/FACS
- Excellent organizational and decision-making skills
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks, and work under pressure
- Genetic characterisation of cell lines via qPCR/ddPCR
- Generation of optimised genetic constructs for protein expression
- Good knowledge of key assays to assess product quality attributes (HPLC, ELISA, MS)
- Knowledge of GLP, cGMP and/or other relevant quality systems
- Highly developed interpersonal, written and verbal skills, including the ability to give presentations and to speak to groups
Closing Date: This job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. Please apply for this job as soon as you can, if interested.
We are located in the UK and USA.
The UK office is located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Robert Robinson Avenue, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4HG.
Current Company Benefits: 25 days annual leave plus UK Public holidays and a day off on your birthday; Pension with salary exchange and employer contribution; Group life cover; Business travel insurance; Employee assistance programme; Business travel insurance; Private medical insurance with great wellbeing benefits as a benefit in kind; Glasses Vouchers; Long service benefits including annual leave rising to 30 days; Oxford Science park free parking and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding company.
Our Oxford offices benefit from kitchen facilities on each floor with freshly ground coffee, tea, fruit juices, fruit and biscuits.
Culture: A chance to make a difference in a promotion-from-within environment; 2 whole company communication presentation events each year; Fun Factor social events including regular science presentations; regular TGIFriday events; Annual 2-day Staff Away Days; additional social committee events; and a commitment to quality, health and safety.
Environment: Modern offices and laboratories with a friendly working environment in a diverse and expanding company.
Values: Employee values include scientific excellence, ambition, diversity, teamwork and fun.